Friday, February 17, 2012

I Despise the Bigot

On Feb. 19, 1776, Congressman Josiah Bartlett from New Hampshire received a Feb. 2  letter from his wife.  Bartlett wrote, "When I read at the Close of your letter, and account of the Death of my good friend, John Wadleigh, it very sensibly affected me, for I had received no account of his being worse than when I left home."

Bartlett recalled, "I had really a great value of him, and think the Town & Especially that part of it, have met with a great loss in his Death.  I Can[']t help Calling to mind the many hours, pleasant Conversation I have had with him, and tho' he had Some Sentiments Different from mine, yet I really Loved & Esteemed him, and I Despise the Bigot, who Can have no Esteem or friendship for any man, whose religious opinions are Different[.]"

Paul H. Smith, ed., Letters of Delegates to Congress: Vol. 3: January 1,1776-May 15, 1776 (Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1978), 277.



No comments: