Wednesday, October 28, 2009

October 29 ,1776

Abigail Adams to John Adams, October, 29, 1776, on privateering, and state military drafts:

"The rage for privateering is as great here as any where. Vast Numbers are employd in that way. If it is necessary to make any more draughts upon us the women must Reap the Harvests. I am willing to do my part. I believe I could gather Corn and Husk it, but I should make a poor figure at diging Potatoes."

Lyman Henry Butterfield, Marc Friedlaender and Richard Alan Ryerson, eds., Adams Family Correspondence: Volume 2: June 1776-March 1778 (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1963), 135.

Letter from Abigail Adams to John Adams, 29 September 1776 [electronic edition]. Adams Family Papers: An Electronic Archive. Massachusetts Historical Society.
http://www.masshist.org/digitaladams/

No comments: